Tuesday, May 20, 2008

A Moment on the Brooklyn Bridge

Yesterday I ventured down to Downtown, and caught the Staten Island Ferry across and back to get a close up, and front on view, of the Lady. I had only ever seen her from behind, in Jersey, on previous trips, and so taking the ferry over - and straight back! - was another of the NYC things on my to do list!

After that I walked over to South Street Seaport, and had a lunch reminiscent of one Tali and I had on my first trip to this awesome city, all the way back in 1999! Taking a long look at the expanse of the Brooklyn Bridge from here, my aim to walk across it was starting to look like a wet prospect, in this unseasonably cold NY Spring week.

Stumbling across the greatest bookstore in the world, The Strand, and lucking out on completing my Armistead Maupin set and my missing US edition paperback Harry Potter (and sending them home, couldn't have been easier! Very dangerous!), my resolve to complete my Bridge mission was alive.

I took the subway under the river to the Brooklyn Bridge walkway, and then started the walk across. Taking in the view of the city, and the beauty in this structure, was a one of those special travel moments. The sun was peeking out from the clouds in a brief period of warmth, cars speeding past below the walkway....awesome!

A walk through the neon dazzle of Times Square, and a little shopping, before Tali finished work and come and found me. We made our way to a rooftop bar in the Garment District, for cosmopolitans and dinner, with the illuminated Empire State Building in front of us. Provided with hot red robes to battle the chill of the night, we took in the views and the New York experience....before Dr Talia was called in for a sick little puppy, and I got to see her in action!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...